What is Hepatology?
Hepatology is a branch of medicine concerned with the study, prevention, diagnosis and management of diseases that affect the liver, gallbladder, biliary tree and pancreas. The term hepatology is derived from the Greek words “hepatikos” and “logia,” which mean liver and study, respectively.
Dr. Sharad Deshmukh is an experienced and expert Hepatologist in Jalgaon. He treated many severe cases successfully and well treated.
Hepatitis affects millions of individuals globally and is associated with several poor outcomes including liver transplant and liver cancer. In particular, hepatitis B and hepatitis C are major causes of liver cancer, while alcohol abuse has been linked to conditions such as cirrhosis and other serious complications. The conditions hepatologists deal with most frequently are viral hepatitis and alcohol-related liver disease.
Some of the most common ailments that are assessed, diagnosed and managed by a hepatologist include:
- Diseases of the liver related to excess alcohol consumption, including fatty liver disease, liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Drug overdose, particularly paracetamol overdose
- Gastrointestinal bleeding caused by portal hypertension linked to liver injury
- Enzyme defects causing liver enlargement in children, also known of as liver storage diseases
- Liver transplantation
- Liver cancer
- Genetic and metabolic liver disease
- Pancreatitis, usually when caused by alcohol consumption or gallstones
- Drug metabolism
- Damage to the pancreas or biliary tract caused by infection, cancer, alcohol, bleeding or obstruction.